Ministry of Labour, Migrations & Social SecurityDo I need to take any action now?. Ministry of Labour, Migrations & Social Security

Welcome Welcome (en)

Menú principal y redes sociales



I'm british: Do I need to take any action now?

Relevant information for British nationals in Spain

How to obtain the registration certificate

For the time being, negotiations are still ongoing and it is not known what the final scenario will be: deal or no-deal.

However, until 29 March 2019 you will remain a citizen of the European Union and as such, if you wish to reside for more than three months in Spain, you must register at the Central Registry for Foreign Nationals. This procedure will allow you to obtain a registration certificate that will prove very useful after the deadline of 29 March 2019 in any of the two possible scenarios.

Should you wish to apply, you must formally request it to the Immigration Department in the province where you intend to reside or at the corresponding police station. You will find their address, telephone numbers and office hours on the following website: Ministerio de Política Territorial y Función Pública - Extranjería en las Delegaciones del Gobierno / Ministry of Territorial Policy and Public Function - Immigration Offices in regional Government Agencies.

In order to apply, you must go to the Aliens Office of the province where you intend to reside or to the corresponding police station. The address, telephone numbers and opening hours of the Aliens Office can be found on the website: Ministry of Territorial Policy and Public Function - Aliens in Government Delegations.

For further information regarding registration, as well as what the documents you must provide, please visit:

Staying up to date

We will be updating this information accordingly, once we become more aware of what the scenario will be.

Please note that in Spain the registration with the Central Registry for Foreign Nationals of all citizens of the European Union, including British nationals, if they intend to reside in Spain for longer than three months for is strongly advised.

A formal application must be submitted within three months from the date of entry into Spain. A registration certificate will then be issued with immediate effect stating the identity, nationality and address, as well as the identification number (NIE), and the date of registration.

Since it is yet unknown whether there will be a deal and as this process rests on the decision of the United Kingdom, it is important to remember that, in any event, once the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union becomes effective, being in possession of a valid registration certificate will guarantee the recognition of your rights as a resident in Spain. In the event of a deal, this certificate will prove your status as a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement. In the event of a no-deal, this document will allow you to continue living in Spain and help you obtain the documents required by the general immigration regulations.

For more information on this procedure as well as the documents to be provided, please visit: